Set-up and Manage a Facebook Group
Facebook groups are an excellent way to build a community around your brand or product. But if you’ve been hesitant to start one because you lack the technical know-how, fear no more. Here’s what you need to do…
- Log in to Facebook. Be sure to log in to the account where you want to create a group.
- Click groups on the left side. On this page, you’ll see a list of all the Facebook groups you’re in as well as some suggestions on which groups to join.
- Click the “create group” button. It should be on the left side, and it’s usually green.
- Name your group. Remember that this group name will be the first impression that potential members get of your brand. You want it to be positive and sound like something that would be fun to join.
- Add some people. To create a group, Facebook wants you to select at least one other person to join. You can add a friend, or enter one of your alternative email addresses if you’re not ready to show off your new group yet.
- Select the privacy of your group. There are three options you can choose from – private means anyone can see the group and who’s in it. But only members can view posts. Public means anyone can see the group, who’s in it, and the posts.
- Secret means no one knows the group exists, who is a member, or can see posts in it (unless they’re a member). If your goal is to create a community around your product or brand, aim for a closed group. You get the best of both worlds with this setting.
- Click create. When you’re happy with your settings, click the “create” button. Facebook will automatically take you to your new group.
- Upload a cover. The cover will be visible to everyone who sees your group, even those who aren’t members. Facebook’s current preferred size for group cover images is 1,640px by 856px.
- Click “More.” It is a small light gray button beneath your cover. Choose “Edit group settings.”
- Alter your group icon. If you want, you can choose a different group name, too.
- Change your group type. You can view the various group types by clicking ‘change’ and selecting a different one. If none of the other group types sound like yours, then leave “General” selected.
- Add your description. It is where you can include more information about your group. Many moderators describe the type of group they’re building and then go on to share any rules they might have.
- Think about the type of community atmosphere you’re trying to create and set rules that will enforce that.
- So, if you’re creating a group of people to share their crafting projects, you might want to explain that members can’t spam others with links to their Etsy shop.
- Include a location. If your group is local, such as a flea market, then you may want to set a place to make it easy for others to find you.
- Post tags. You can choose up to 5 tags that describe your group and what it does.
- Add apps. Apps can be a fun and exciting way to add more features to your group. You can use a program like BeLive to make it possible for your members to broadcast live from their mobile devices.
- Link your page. If you have a page for your brand on Facebook groups, include it in this section. When new members visit your group, they’ll see that there’s a page connected to it and may become followers over there.
- Select a color. If you want, you can choose the color of your group. But this feature is only visible to mobile users and doesn’t affect the way desktop users see your group.
- Customize address. It is the area where you can select a username for your group. It can be difficult to change later so choose carefully. When you’re done, your URL will look like this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/yourcustomizedaddress/
- Change privacy settings. If you’ve made a different decision regarding your group privacy, this is the area where you can change it.
- Add badges. Badges will allow people who post a lot when your group is new to receive a special designation so other members will see it. You can turn this feature on or off.
- Create sections. If you want to include “units” in your group or set up game-play within your group, this is the area where you’d do it.
- Decide on membership approval. You can have it set so that anyone within your Facebook groups can approve new members, or you can set it so only admins can accept new members.
- Choose your chat creation settings. You can allow members to create group chats, or if you want to restrict this feature, you can set it, so only admins or moderators have the power to start Facebook group chats.
- Set membership Pre-approvals. It can be useful if you have an old Facebook group, and you want to encourage those members to join. If you select another group, Facebook will automatically approve new members who are part of the old group.
- You can also upload your address book and any user with an email address from your text will be automatically added to the group upon their request.
- Add questions. When new members request to join your group, you can have it set so they must answer three questions first. Use these questions to gather valuable feedback about your customers’ needs.
- Select membership from pages. You can choose if pages can join your group. On the plus side, you’ll have more members. On the downside, you may see an increase in the amount of spam and other irrelevant content that you’ll have to moderate or delete.
- Choose who can post. Some groups are designed so only admins can post (this is useful if you’re using your group to teach) while other groups allow both members and admins to post.
- Make post-approval. You can also have your group set up so before content can be posted it requires approval from an admin or moderator. The advantage of doing this is that you can have more control over what’s posted in the group. However, on the flip side, you may find members are hesitant to post, and discussions take longer to develop.
- Set story posting permissions. You can allow anyone within the group to post stories, or you can set it so only admins can post stories. Usually, stories are good to invite conversations and they’re not a useful tool for spammers, so this is one set you’ll probably want to leave on for everyone.
- Choose the story post-approval. You can set it so an admin must approve ALL videos and pictures before they’re posted to the group. As a rule, leave this setting off.
- If you have a problem later with members posting inappropriate or offensive content, you can always block them from the group or use this setting to create a moderation panel.
- Recommend an existing group. Depending on your business, you may already have a current group that you want to link to. You can do that easily in the “about” section by clicking on the recommended option.
- Make your first post. Now that you have your group set up correctly, it’s time to get the discussions flowing. Create a post that welcomes new members and shares your excitement.
- Invite members. Now that your group feels cozy, it’s time to start inviting new members. You can do that from within your group. Just start typing the names of your friends to begin adding them.
Good luck with your new group!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find Facebook groups?
When you want to find Facebook groups on Facebook to join, from your newsfeed, on the left side is a menu. Find the tab for groups, click on it, and then at the top of the page, put in keywords for the type of group you are searching for. This will bring up a lot of different options, and then you can scroll through them, and choose each one you want to join.
Finding Facebook groups you are already a part of or that you manage on Facebook is very simple to do as well, and can be done in just a few short steps.
1. Sign in to Facebook, and from your newsfeed, click on your personal page.
2. Once you are on your personal page, click on the drop-down menu under “more” to find groups.
3. Scroll down until you can click on groups.
4. Click “see more” to see all the Facebook groups you are already a part of or that you manage.
Is it safe to join Facebook groups?
Yes, it is safe to join Facebook groups, but there is some information you need to know about joining them. There are two different options for Facebook groups, and who can see their posts. A public group is a group that anyone can join, post in, and see the posts from that group. The privacy settings for this type of group are not as strict because they want to be found by everyone.
Then there is a closed group, anyone can join, but the admin of the group will decide who gets to join, and who doesn’t. There are usually rules put into place in the closed groups that you have to agree to before you will be allowed to join.
This is done to help ensure that the closed group stays a safe place for everyone to be in. With the closed group, the only people who can see the group’s posts are the members. This makes it a little safer for you when in groups.
Both types of groups are safe to join, but with the closed group, there is obviously a little more privacy available.
How do you create a closed group on Facebook?
Creating a closed group on Facebook requires a few simple steps that will help you have your own group set up in a few short minutes.
1. Sign in to your Facebook account, and at the top of the page, click on “Create.”
2. Scroll down until you can click on “Group.”
3. Enter the name of your group, and follow the step-by-step instructions to finish getting your group set up.
4. Make sure on the privacy setting options, to check the privacy you want, “closed group.”
5. Then click on create.
How do I promote my Facebook groups?
Once you have your Facebook group set up, you then need to get members for it. That is easy to do because there are a lot of different methods to use to achieve this goal.
• Create a post and share your group on other Facebook groups that allow it.
• Put a link in your email signature.
• Share your group on your other social media sites such as Instagram and Twitter.
• Create a post about it on your blog.
• Link your group to your personal page, business page, or both.
These are a few of the more popular ways to promote your Facebook group. The more methods you use, the more group members you will attract, and the faster you will grow your group.
So, there you have it, “Facebook Groups,” to help your profit. There are a few good tips and information, from having the right tools to having the right mindset for running your marketing endeavors.
These tips will have your marketing efforts paying off, and you will probably wonder why you did not take this on sooner.
I hope this information can be a useful starting point for you in your Blogging.
You Might find these Beginner Blogging topics of Interest:
I also use Affiliate Products and links on my blog posts and pages to Build my Business.
One of the biggest questions in online marketing is how to monetize websites and blogs to make and embrace Online Blogging.
I love to hear from you! Let me know what business you think about or are already involved with another company. What drew you to this article? How is the business going for you?
Visit my Facebook Page and tell me more About You. Click HERE!
To Your Success